Monday, January 17, 2011

Keep Warm


Keep warm with lulu's chicken soup!


Every time I make my chicken soup everyone asks me for the recipe.  I am not a follow-the-recipe type of girl so I always try and give the basic idea of what I do.  I made my chicken soup Wednesday night with a friend and she helped me document it.  I have not included exact measurements but if you follow my lead you will love it.  This is a great way to make a high protein meal loaded with nutrients and vegetables.  If I am making this soup for my son I add organic whole-wheat fusilli at the end. The brand that I like to use is Bionaturae. To keep this a low carbohydrate meal, hold off on the noodles.  Its so cold outside so what better way to warm up with some friends and family while sticking with your healthy diet.

Ingredients
2 medium sized carrots
1 turnip
1 parsnip
1 ginger
6-8 garlic cloves
6 little white potatoes
2 pieces celery
Handful of dill
1 purple onion
1 yellow onion
2 chickens quartered (skin on)
Salt and pepper to taste

Start by filling up a large pot with water 3/4 of the way
-Rinse your chicken clean and put it in the pot
-Clean all veggies and put them in the pot (you don't need to cut them)
-Clean handful of dill and put it in the pot
-Boil on high for 3 hours
-Shut the fire, remove vegetables and place them in a separate bowl
- Remove chicken and place in a separate bowl
- Once the chicken has cooled down, remove the meat from the bone and discard the skin, bones. And pieces of fat
- Clean the broth with a strainer and put back in the pot. You can then put the chicken meat back into the broth
- Cut up one of the carrots, all celery, yellow onion, and turnip and place it back into the pot
- Cut potatoes into four and put back into the pot
- The rest of the vegetables you can discard
- Heat the soup back up to a boil and then lower heat to simmer
- If you wish to add noodles, throw a cup of noodles in now to boil with the soup for 20 minutes and then serve!

I would love to hear your feedback on the soup! Please feel free to email me with any questions.  Send me pictures of your chicken soup and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It looks so good that I will have to try it. I cook without recipes too. I am also trying new recipes now that are vegetarian. Soups with beans and kale are good if you add a grain even better. If I come up with a good one I'll email. Thanks for the inspiration
    love Susan

    ReplyDelete