Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tasty Treat


Yesterday my husband brought home a bag of chestnuts and asked me to make them for my son Jacob.  My husband and I both love chestnuts and we usually buy them this time of year.  I never looked into it before but since I am on this health kick I decided to do a little research on this tasty treat. 

I found out that Chestnuts are different than most nuts in that they are very low in fats, oils, sodium, and CALORIES.  They are gluten free and full of nutrients.  They contain minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc.   They are a rich in Vitamin C, fiber and FOLIC ACID; which is very important during pregnancy. 

Go out and buy some chestnuts tomorrow!  They are so easy to make.  

I usually make them in an oven or toaster oven.  Start by cutting an x in the top of the chestnut.  I put my oven on at 425 and bake them for about 20 to 30 minutes.  Keep and eye on them, when the top of the shell bursts open and the chestnut is golden brown they are ready!  Let them cool for a bit when you take them out of the oven so that you don’t burn your fingers

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. lauren, this post just came across my fb newsfeed and i clicked...much to my surprise i discovered this blog of yours! i love your idea-- i never eat chestnuts but they sound yummy. my sister has a food blog also: http://prestocook.wordpress.com. perhaps yall can exchange ideas and recipes:)

    ReplyDelete